As a complete mobile takeover of the business world is fast becoming a reality, any web strategy that doesn’t embrace the transition is almost certain to spell doom. Given the increasing inclusion of mobile devices in all aspects of business operations – be it sales, support, market research, or any other core function – mobile SEO has become an essential marketing tool for every modern-day business, especially B2C entities.
The time of reckoning is now, with more than 50 percent of all online search queries being directed from mobile devices, how well you incorporate the paradigm shift will play a pivotal role in determining the future of your business. The stakes have already been raised with the rollout of Mobilegeddon – Google’s recent algorithm update that aims to enhance the prominence of mobile-friendly websites in organic results.
Why Employ Mobile SEO?
- Approximately 91 percent of the earth’s population has a mobile phone, with 56 percent owning a smart device. Mobile SEO ensures that your website is tailored to deliver the same user experience on all platforms, optimized for the access devices used by visitors.
- Apps are now the driving force behind consumer activity. According to The US Mobile App Report, mobile apps now account for as much as 7 out of every 8 minutes spent consuming media on mobile devices, which itself is a reason enough to think ‘mobile’.
- Ranking is still king and the ranking indicators on mobile browsers demand more than the average desktop user experience. That is the reason why mobile SEO becomes a necessity, in order to optimize the receptiveness of your website for Google and other search engines.
- More than 70% of consumers make their purchases online. Therefore, if you are not focused on achieving high rankings in mobile web searches or providing the same experience across platforms, you are clearly losing out on more than a few opportunities.
- Approximately 70% of search results on mobile, yield an action within an hour. Thus, by targeting mobile users, you can reduce the overall duration of sales conversion cycles, which is sure to add to the profitability of your business.
Embracing the Future
Behind every marketing strategy, there is an attitude and understanding that attitude, will either see the project through to success or bring it on its knees. But before we delve into the intricacies of mobile SEO, let us take a quick look at some of the rudimentary SEO facts, often misconstrued by the masses.
- SEO, if done right, is a long-term investment
- It is an on-going process, not a one-time event
- Results may take 2-3 months to start showing up
- Professional execution delivers better results than DIY
- Size is inconsequential when it comes to the quality of initiatives
When it comes to selecting a mobile SEO company, beware of the “quick results” bait often used by agencies. Do your own research on the prevailing mobile SEO trends as well as the service providers under your consideration. There are a number of mobile SEO strategies that you can adopt in your overall marketing campaign, in order to make the most of the smartphone revolution. The magic potion, however, remains the same when it comes to ranking higher on the search engines – a blend of optimal user experience, informative content, and search-friendly architecture.
The first step towards leveraging mobile SEO is to discover the mobile friendliness of your website. This can be done by running your website URL through Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test. To further help in this regard, here are excerpts of some tips from Matt Cutts on increasing website traffic and conversions in 2015 include:
- Gratify visitors with a fast, easy-to-navigate, and informative website. This is a silver bullet that results in the proverbial killing of 2 birds with one stone – what the user likes, the machines also like. The result is favorable ranking and lower bounce and exit rates.
- Forget blind link building strategies and focus on sharing valuable content. You can establish your authority in your field through guest blogging. In addition, it is advisable to indulge in authentic conversations, and be compelling on all platforms.
- Unblock Java Script and CSS to bring out the true design and feel of your website. This follows the unleashing of Crawl and render with Fetch as Googlebot, which allows Google to understand your pages better through the execution of JS, Ajax, etc.
- Prepare for the future. Updates such as hummingbird aim to improve user experience through enhanced natural language conversation for correctly optimized websites. Therefore, having a multilingual websites becomes a necessity for global businesses.
It is also important to monitor your online presence and enhance your marketing strategy with the lessons learned. Web analytics tools will help you identify and measure how your website interacts with Google’s crawling and indexing activities, as well as your customers. This allows you to spot issues in time and redress them without wasting any time; however, as stated earlier, do not take the matter into your own hands, unless you are sure about your in-house capabilities and understanding of SEO, which happens to be a constantly evolving science. As they say, some things are better left to experts!